Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Reclaimed Wood Wall Project

Have you ever watched "The Antonio Treatment" design show?? Well, I LOVE it and was inspired by a recent episode. Antonio revamped a cute cupcake shop into an amazingly stylish and whimsical explosion of eye candy!! He incorporated a patchworked, reclaimed wood wall into the shop and I went crazy over it. I decided that I had to recreate that look somewhere in my house. I thought that the big blank wall beside our master bath's tub would be the perfect place. So, I enlisted my talented and handy artist friend, Jennifer, to help me make this project happen!

We found old window casings and some odd accent pieces at a salvage store as well as some antique door casings at our local Habitat ReStore. We yanked out the old, rusty nails and scrubbed years of dirt away. Then the puzzle began. We laid out the pieces to create the pattern we wanted and then Jennifer sawed everything to size. We adhered a piece of moisture resistant paper to the wall and Jennifer nailed everything in. The last step was painting some of the pieces in soft sea shades to match my rustic, beachy bedroom decor. I am now waiting for a pendant chandelier that I ordered to arrive so that we can install it over the tub. I love mixing weathered, rough items with elegant elements. I still can't believe that I actually have a wall like this in my house!




1 comment:

ImagiMeri said...

Wow Carrie, it's amazing! You did an incredible job. I can't wait to see it with the lighting fixture. I haven't gotten to watch the "Antonio Treatment," but I do watch HGTV fairly regularly. I watched when he won the design show, and I think I've seen one or two of his shows.

Flora mentioned to me that you went to some kind of painting/finishing class. Was it local? I need to do something like that to get better results on my finish skills.

Have a great day!
Meri