Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day Planting and Upcycling!

Happy Earth Day to all of my special blog friends!! I thought i'd share my two Earth Day projects....vegetable container gardens and a little art upcycling. Here is my first attempt at growing herbs and vegetables. I am going to place them on our sunny front porch and hope that they will survive and florish! The thought of walking right out of the house to pick tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, cilantro, basil and rosemary is so exciting! I will keep adding to my collection as it gets warmer. If any of you have a green thumb and want to share some growing tips with me, please feel free!!

Ok, this is my next art project. My mom found this little antique toy cart at a warehouse sale and sent it to me. I have been wanting to make some pull toys reminiscent of those wonderful antique ones i often see. This cart has been sitting on my desk all week. I just can't decide what animal to add to it...a sheep? a cow? a pig? I am leaning toward creating a sheep with some sort of animal riding on his back. I welcome your thoughts and opinions! This makes me want to hit some flea markets and do a little more art upcycling.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the car is right up your alley!
Also I love growing herbs... and not have to buy them!

Happy Earth Day
Pattee

Little Dollings by Brenda O. said...

Hi Carrie -- I love these mini gardens! Yum, it'll smell soooo good! My best growing tip is just Miracle Grow potting soil.. gosh, it feeds potted plants effortlessly all season - they literally triple in size!
Oh, and you could sing to them! I think they like that too! ;)

Smiles,
Brenda

Sheryl Parsons said...

Oh Carrie, we must have been sharing vibes! I've been busy planting so I will have things ready to go into the ground when it warms up in Oregon. I will have a trunk full of starts when we leave...:-). I didn't even realize it was Earth Day...lol. Your growing zone is the same as mine here in Utah. So if you can find a place against the sunny side of your home, you should be able to keep your rosemary throughout the winter. It might be worth a try. My Rosemary, Oregano and Chives are all by the cement wall outside our apartment and do fine. The oregano dies back, as well as the chives, but they start perking up quickly in the Spring. Cilantro like cooler temps, while Basil loves heat. Brenda is right, Miracle grow is great. Tomatoes like epsom salts too.
Can't wait to see what you do with the cart!
:-)
Sheryl

noodle and lou said...

I know...I love to hunt for vintage goodies like that too Carrie! I'm likin' the idea of the sheep with a buddy on his back! Maybe a bird with a big tall cone hat!
I love to grow my own veggies and herbs. My boys love to get involved too.

happy weekend!!! xoxox...jenn

Jill said...

I LOVE the little cart! A sheep would be perfect on it (if you don't do a cat-my fav). I keep reading about everyone's veggie & herb gardens & wish I had more of a green thumb. I have enough trouble keeping my flowers going! Happy day to you! ~ Jill

Beth said...

hi carrie !! thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog !! your work is so wonderful !! keep in touch,
xo,
beth