Thursday, January 20, 2011

...and the pull toy armatures are built!

I decided to document the steps of the process involved in creating my pull toys. So, here is step #2...armatures! I laid the illustrations down on my desk and cut pieces of computer packing foam to match the shapes and sizes of the animals. I then glued everything together with epoxy. I used dowels and wire for legs and tails. The wire then has to be wrapped with floral tape to help the clay stick to it.

I added a rough layer of clay to all of the armature yesterday afternoon (not shown in photo), so hopefully today I will make some headway on the detailed sculpting. This part takes awhile because I have to let certain parts dry before adding more clay.

More soon....


Ann said...

i love how you are sharing how you make these! You put so much work into them and your love for making them realy shows! xo

tinypearl5758 said...

I am so happy that you are showing us how you put your toys into practice. It looks like a very interesting process. Thanks for sharing with us. xxx